[postgis-devel] RFC versus Direct Action

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Feb 8 14:56:02 PST 2022

> Thank you Regina, I very very much appreciate it.
> I think we can work out something that keeps SRS more up-to-date, and
> really the question is just how much tradeoff we want to accept on bell
and
> whistles and perfection over all potential cases versus minimizing churn
and
> maximizing simplicity.
>
> P.

[Regina Obe]
Agree.  I appreciate the thought that both you and strk have put into this.

I think we should go with your solution for now as it is back portable and
really is what we should have been doing all along.
The questions in my mind are

1) Do we purge all srids a user has that we have or only add new entries

I think it's safest to just add entries where the SRID is missing.

My concern with touching existing is  if there is an older entry that is
later updated eg. Adding a nadgrid etc
And a user did all their transforms based on old entries, updating the entry
might cause disruption to their workflow.

I've often been told "I don't care if my answers are wrong, I just need the
same question to always give the same wrong answer across my system."

Then again updating proj causes disruption to their answers too, so perhaps
a moot point for many scenarios.