[postgis-devel] Rendezvous Variables

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Mar 11 03:26:08 PST 2022

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 11:52:59AM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Wow, here's a crazy esoteric feature,
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgresServerExtensionPoints#Rendezvous_variables
>
> Could be the foundation for what those 'postgis-dependent' extensions
> have been asking for in terms of accessing deserialization functions
> without having to copy ours into their own library.

Sounds dangerous (void **) but before thinking about external
extensions, we might benefit from this to have postgis_raster and
postgis_topology share liblwgeom, if you want to experiment with that.

I'm still not sure why we didn't want liblwgeom to live on the system
and be dynamically linked by all those extensions of ours at least,
which would solve the same problem in a more standard and simple way.