[postgis-devel] Is it planned that overview rasters of PostGIS rasters can be registered outside the database instead of inside

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Mar 28 00:23:52 PDT 2022

Pascal,

Not to my knowledge.  Are you proposing that raster2pgsql would generate the
overviews outside of the database and then register what it generated?

The issue I see with that is then it would need to decide what format to
store these overviews because the postgis raster format can’t exist outside
of the database.

A more common request is referencing overviews that are already built.  Many
external raster already have such a functionality.  I think that’s a bit
more involved though.

Thanks,

Regina