[postgis-devel] PostGIS PSC Vote: Release PostGIS 3.3.0 alpha1 this week

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri May 20 10:48:40 PDT 2022

> > On May 20, 2022, at 7:54 AM, Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:
> >
> > 4) Backporting the fixes to 3.2 is a non-trivial amount of code and
> > the new index changes would complicate any PG Upgrade from PostgreSQL
> > 15 3.2 to any later PostGIS version.
>
> Can you explain this a little more?

[Regina Obe]
Thinking about this more. I think I might be wrong.

I think it's an issue of lower versions of PostgreSQL 14 running with
PostGIS 3.3.0 and then upgrading to PostgreSQL 15 3.3.0.

Our machinery doesn't handle cases where a feature was disabled in a lower
version of PostgreSQL before and then can be enabled.  We've always had to
explicitly in our scripts manually account for that. So I suspect what would
happen in that case would be:

PostgreSQL 14 PostGIS 3.3.0  -> pg_upgraded to PostGIS  3.3.0 PostgreSQL 15
may not get the new index feature.

PostgreSQL 14 PostGIS 3.2... -> PostGIS 3.3.0 PostgreSQL 15 would be fine.

@strk any thoughts on that.  I know we did some stuff to handle those kind
of cases, but I think it's imperfect.

As far as PostgreSQL 15 PostGIS 3.2.1 -> PostgreSQL 15 PostGIS 3.3.0
That may not be an issue since the new GIST piece was officially enabled in
PostGIS 3.3.0.
But could be an issue, will need to test that.

Thanks,
Regina