[postgis-devel] manpages

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed May 25 05:12:56 PDT 2022

Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> writes:

>> > pkgsrc puts man pages in e.g. /usr/pkg/man/man1/foo.1 and we pass
>> > --mandir to GNU autoconf.   So I think the short answer to your question
>> > is that if there's a reaonable knob (configure arg, env var) to say
>> > where the mandir is, a packager calls that a win and doesn't complain.
>>
>> Thanks for reporting this. I'm just afraid it's out of luck if that
>> still works (bots are not checking after it).
>
> I just tried passing --mandir=/usr/local/share/man/ but I don't find
> any of PostGIS manpages under /usr/local/share/man/ after running
> `make install`. Are you sure --mandir is ALL you use in pkgsrc ?
>
> Is this against the master branch ?

My report was against 3.3.0rc1.

I did not mean to say this was a regression from previous versions.

The actual configure call sets a ton of environment variables and then

  ./configure --enable-rpath --datadir=/usr/pkg/share/postgresql/contrib --without-address-standardizer -with-xsldir=/usr/pkg/share/xsl/docbook --x-includes=/usr/X11R7/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R7/lib --prefix=/usr/pkg --build=x86_64--netbsd --host=x86_64--netbsd --mandir=/usr/pkg/man --enable-option-checking=yes

(I can send you the entire >1MB debug build log if you want.)

This follows from the package control file having:

  GNU_CONFIGURE=          yes
  CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --enable-rpath
  CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --datadir=${PREFIX}/share/postgresql/contrib

This setting of mandir generally works on (other) autoconf packages.

I think the root cause of the trouble is a blend of autoconf in postgis
and pgxs.mk

But I don't even get man pages in  /usr/pkg/share/man/man1 (which is a
normal path and probably the autconf default for --prefix=/usr/pkg).  If
I did, I would have just patched a makefile to change the path.

Do you get man pages at all?  Is there something I can pass to
configure, put in the configure env, or the build env, that will install
them?  README.postgis says default is $prefix/man....

Maybe I should just add something like (but actually get it right)

  post-install:
          $(INSTALL_MAN) $(WRKSRC)/doc/man/shp2pgsql.1 $(DESTDIR)$(MANDIR)/man1
          $(INSTALL_MAN) $(WRKSRC)/doc/man/shp2pgsql.1 $(DESTDIR)$(MANDIR)/man1

if man page installation just generally doesn't work.   That's the usual
pkgsrc workaround for things the upstream package's build system should
have installed but did not.

I wonder though if postgis, in using pgxs, should be in essence forcing
all paths to be the paths postgresql was built with, and not pretend
otherwise.  I see now that there is no man page for psql installed
either.  So maybe this is an issue in how postgresql is munged in pkgsrc.