[postgis-devel] Plan release PostGIS 3.4.0 this weekend

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri Aug 11 17:59:00 PDT 2023

> Regarding the bin/postgis thing.  I've marked annotated this as a breaking
change

https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/postgis/postgis/src/branch/master/NEWS#L68

I think it was side effect of https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/635 (yah
took us 13 years to fix)

Bas had complained about it too about all these utilities moving from
postgresql bin to OS bin  - https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/5447
and the man pages missing.

> I successfully upgraded a db from earlier postgis, via 'postgis upgrade',
in
> that I didn't get an error.  I will test it with qgis once I have rebuilt
it (which is
> not about postgis, but a qwt upgrade).
>
> I did find that the (new?) bin/postgis:
>
>   lacks a man page (I don't get any from build/install and don't see
>   that I disabled them, but I am not passing --mandir either)
>
>   is confusing, at least to me:

Hmm this should have been fixed in the rc1 run, though I don't think Bas
ever confirmed
https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/5447

Maybe something different with BSD we are missing or it's not fixed.

> But install-extension-upgrades: I can't figure out that that means, given
that
> these files are installed by the default build.  So where do they get
installed
> *to*?  And if they aren't installed already, I don't know where they come
> from, because at runtime, the source is no longer available.

There is an option to not install it, but we went with installing by default
to not cause a breaking change.

I think this is only useful for people building their own postgis who want
to cherry pick the paths to install.
Remember Sandro tried to explain how this could be useful for packagers.  I
didn't get it. I don't think you did either.

I honestly didn't spend much time trying to figure out how to use it myself.

I'm still praying for this to get thru in some shape, which will make the
above command  not needed by anybody

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20230807135532.r73nul3ksqr55rbk%4
0c19#7c7d7d0d117fa8430783121a3935b028

We are still fighting, but it's hard.  Need more extension authors on our
side.

> postgis_restore's help does not seem to use the new 'postgis' command.
> Which points out that the new command doesn't seem to work with
> extensions.

postgis_restore is mostly useful for people who are coming from a
non-extension install.
Hopefully there aren't too many of those left.  It's been there since the
1.0 days though it has gone under
many improvements in that time.

If you installed PostGIS with CREATE EXTENSION using pg_restore is usually
sufficient.

The main thing that postgis_restore did apart from pg_restore, is filtering
out obsolete functions
and I think taking care of SRID issues that were not within range.