[postgis-devel] Separate make target to install extension upgrade scripts ?

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu Jan 26 22:58:34 PST 2023

> But Darafei and Strk didn't like that idea.  Something about developer
freedom
> to change plpgsql functions.

I should add here,

SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade();

Works even if all you've got is an ANY and friend script.
So there is no real loss in ditching the micro scripts and having our
versioning just be 3.4/3.5/etc in the pg_extension table

Even if we shipped new plpgsql in a micro,
Developers can run

SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade();

Users if they have problems can run SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade()

The only problem we have is many pg_upgrade after scripts have which needs a
matching name target script

ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE;
ALTER EXTENSION ... UPDATE;

If we don't have micro update scripts, we have no problem here either,
except for keeping those old micro scripts (and from 3.4 on just having 3.4
in pg_extension).

Thanks,
Regina