[postgis] PostGIS/ PostGreSQL ODBC problem

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Dec 17 14:49:01 PST 2001

The ODBC driver defaults to a particular size. ODBC is not the best way
to get data out of pgsql, just the most convenient. The best way is to
directly use libpq. Check the configuration panel of the ODBC driver to
change the defaults for maximum text field size.

> "TONY J.Y." wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am using the PostGIS to do research. Here I think that I found a bug
> with PostGreSQL / PostGIS.
> PostgreSQL 7.1.3/ PostGIS 0.6.2
>
> There is a function called "Astext" in PostGIS, defined as below.
>     -- Function: astext(geometry)
>     CREATE FUNCTION "astext"("geometry") RETURNS "text" AS
> 'astext_geometry' LANGUAGE 'C' WITH (ISSTRICT);
> When I used this function to return a geometry column, everything is
> OK if the result was less than 8190.
> I used the ODBC to get the ADO RecordSet.  The DefinedSize of the
> field "astext" is 8190.
>
> Does this the PostgreSQL's ODBC problem?  If the ODBC can not get the
> field's size, would it give the size of 8190?
> Or this is the PostGIS's problem?
>

> Best regards,
> Tony
>
> ---
> Tony Jiang, MSc
> Research & Development Programmer/Analyst
> MRF Geosystems Corp (www.mrf.com)
> Suite 700, 665 8th Street SW,
> Calgary, AB T2P 3K7
> (403) 216-5515 ext:226

      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey
     | Refractions Research
     | Email: pramsey at refractions.net
     | Phone: (250) 885-0632
     \_

Win a Capcom Console Game of Your Choice Or Even a Capcom Arcade System. Click Here to Enter.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/tmpz8B/exbDAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM