[postgis] The Next Level

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Fri Jul 27 07:36:41 PDT 2001

Frank Warmerdam writes:

>Paul Ramsey wrote:
>>
>> We here at Refractions have been discussing how to take PostGIS to the
>> "next level" as a spatial database, and the general consensus is that a
>> few things are needed:
>
>>   b) bundling of binaries (RPM, WIN32 Setup) for easy install
>
>What are the chances of us getting postgis available from the normal
PostgreSQL
>sources as an option for the standard install of PostgreSQL?
>
>Basically, I think PostGIS is a credible spatial extension to PostgreSQL
and
>we should be looking at having it conveniently available with PostgreSQL

I agree wholeheartily !!

Aside from the packaging issue, which should become a mute point if accepted
as an 'offical' contributed module,  this should also insure that PostGIS
remains
compatable with future improvements in PostgreSQL as the core PostgreSQL
team would hopefully help with this as necessary.

IMHO this is the 'compelling reason' to pursue this approach.

Cheers

Norman Vine

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n094442340008000
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM