[postgis] A demonstration (or better) client

Felipe G. Nievinski fnievinski at cpovo.net
Sun Jul 29 16:22:28 PDT 2001

On 29/07/01 at 15:30 Adrian Custer wrote:
>Hello everyone,
Hello Adrian, hi everyone.

(...)
>License Issue:
>If we want to distribute the source in a usable form with PostgreSQL
>then we must be able to license the code under the GPL or something
>compatible.
>If ArcGIS is from ESRI then it is not Free so I don't think
>PostGIS could use it.
ArcGIS is a brand family name of GIS software from ESRI.
It can relies on PostGIS as a back-end database. It's a matter of both softwares agree on how to exchange data (using a stantandard specification, like the Simple Feature spec from the the Open GIS Consortium, for example).
The GPL applies only to PostGIS itself and its "derivative works", which is not the case of softwares which just interface with it. So, there will not be an infringement regarding the GPL license.

> Also I have never quite understood if OpenMap
>could be taken into a GPL project. I always assumed it could ut that is
>from a layman's reading of the license.
>
>From the OpenMap's licence file: "BBN hereby grants to Licensee a royalty free, worldwide right and license to use, copy, distribute and make Derivative Works of OpenMap". I believe it can be considered Free Software. Maybe GPL-incompatible, but still Free Software. OpenMap is also referenced by SourceForge and FreeGIS, both strong warranties that it's free.

>So that's my take on things right now. I would be interested to hear
>anyone's response to the alternatives. If anyone has similar interests
>and any kind of clue what they are doing, I would be much more
>interested in contributing in a project than undertaking this on my own.
>Right now, I'm starting to build a PostgreSQL browser/editor to see how
>one could have a client application and give it the name of a buch of
>data sources for it to work with.

I believe the best (and quickest) approach now is to rely on some of the already cited open source projects. My vote is for Java.
But I strongly agree there is a need for an "ultimate gis viewer".

cheers
Felipe Nievinski.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!