[postgis] A demonstration (or better) client

Timothy H. Keitt tklistaddr at keittlab.bio.sunysb.edu
Tue Jul 31 06:24:27 PDT 2001

John Reid wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'snt there some GPL/LGPL code in postgresql's contrib directory?  ...
>Yep. In contrib the array, string, and userlock modules have GPL headers
>in the READMEs, as well as src/interfaces/odbc (LGPL) and
>src/interfaces/perl5 (LGPL or Artistic).  So a change in licence to BSD
>style is probably is not necessary.  Still need to check though - I
>cannot quickly find confirmation in the copyright notices for the
>distribution.
>
>However these make no mention of GPL code.  For that matter there is no
>information on licencing in pgsql/contrib/README.  However, from the
>debian postgresql-contrib docs (/usr/doc/postgresql-contrib/copyright):
>
>It was downloaded from
><ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql.7.0.2.tar.gz>
>
>Copyright.  The following copyright applies to the entire distribution:
>
>  PostgreSQL Data Base Management System (formerly known as Postgres, then
>  as Postgres95).
>
>  Copyright (c) 1994-7 Regents of the University of California
>
>  Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
>  documentation for any purpose, without fee, and without a written
>agreement
>  is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this
>  paragraph and the following two paragraphs appear in all copies.
>
><snip>
>
>Confused yet?  I am ...
>
>cheers,
>John

Me too.  Does it violate the GPL to use postgis with postgresql?

T.

--
Timothy H. Keitt
Department of Ecology and Evolution

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n094442340008000
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM