[postgis] compiling postgis in cygwin

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Fri Jun 15 21:42:32 PDT 2001

 Doug Nebert writes:

>I was also unable to compile Postgres in Win2K with features in cygwin
>but noticed that a pared down version pgsql came with cygwin
>but had no source or contrib with it. So I followed the directions and
>installed the Postgres source as described and the IPC stuff too. When
>I attempt the ./configure I get the error:
>
>"The procedure entry point getrlimit could not be located in
>the dynamic
>link library cygwin1.dll"
>
>even before I tried adding the postgis features.
>
>This is a very fresh version of cygwin which I installed twice.
>What's up?

Doug

The way I did this was

1) Use the Cygwin setup tool to get the Cygwin PostGres source
    this will install itself into /usr/src/postgres-xxx
2) un tar postgis into contrib
3) used these configure args to setup the postgres master makefile correctly
./configure --enable-multibyte --with-CXX --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --
docdir=/usr/doc/postgresql-$version
make
Do not do make install as the supplied Cygwin binary has java support
builtin
which requires a LOT of work
4) cd to contrib/postgis and make and install postgis ala instrucrions in
readme

FWIW
I have temporarily placed at
http://www.vso.cape.com/~nhv/files/cygwin/cygwin_postgis.tgz

This was built against a Cygwin Installation built from todays Cygwin CVS
files
but I think that the above method should work just fine with the 1.3.2
distribution

Holler again if this doesn't work for you.

Cheers

Norman Vine