[postgis] SFSQL Metadata Views

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jun 26 18:26:20 PDT 2001

Dave Blasby wrote:
> I've been looking into that today, and we could probably write some
> triggers and stored procedures to keep GEOMETRIC_COLUMNS updated.
>
> We'll need to have some way of restricting a GEOMETRY column to be, say,
> a LINESTRING.  I dont want to have to read a system table on every
> INSERT or UPDATE.  Any ideas?

Dave,

Is it important that this be inforced all the time?

> We'll also have to do something with the Spatial Reference System.  I'm
> actually looking at that right now since I want to add a length()
> function that works on a ellipsoid.

How are you wanting to deal with spatial reference systems?  I am assuming
that you don't want to build reprojection support into PostGIS, is that
right?  I have lots of C++ code for building, and parsing WKT spatial
refs, and a binding on PROJ.4 using them to reproject geometries.  This
is all in OGR.

Best regards,