[postgis] Proposal: PostGIS Symposium

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Nov 9 13:02:23 PST 2001

PostGIS'ers:

One of our clients has suggested that having a "PostGIS symposium" might
be a good thing for the community at this point. If we could get one or
two dozen PostGIS users in a room at once, it would be an excellent
opportunity to share experiences and goals with the system, as well as
to prioritize development.

I would like to tentatively suggest a PostGIS symposium be held in
Vancouver, BC in late January, and get expressions of interest from
people in the community. If you would be interested and able to come to
such a gathering at such a date, please drop me  a line. (Airfares are
low right now, and a nice hotel downtown with an ocean view can be had
for as little as $50US. For those with a recreational bent, Whistler is
a couple hours away by car, there are local ski hills only 30 minutes
from downtown, as well as the usual urban treats Vancouver has on
offer.)

I think the agenda would be one full day, with 25%-50% taken up
presentations and discussion on the core technology and the other
50%-75% for implementation experiences and plans, as well as future
directions.

I hope lots of people can make it,
Paul

--