[postgis] Installation on Windows 2000 using Cygwin

Doug Van Auken dougvanauken at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 18 12:06:10 PST 2001

Hello,

I am trying to install Postgresql 7.1.3 on Windows 2000 and Cygwin, using the binaries contained in Cygwin's postgresql 7.1.3 distribution, but I can't get it running.

I have the binaries located in c:/cygwin/local/pgsql/bin.

After I unpacked the, I did the following:

I executed the ipc-daemon:
  Administrator at PHOENIX ~
  $ /usr/local/bin/ipc-daemon.exe &
  [1] 1516

I executed the initdb command:
  Administrator at PHOENIX /bin
  $ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

Then I ran this command:
   /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

At this point, I got a message that said: bash: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: No such file or directory

I don't see any program called postmaster in the postgresql archive, so I tried substituting "POSTGRES" in place of "POSTMASTER", as in:
  $ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

This generated the following response:
  $ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
  DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2001-11-18 11:46:59
  DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 1563272)
  DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 1563272); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown TRUE
  DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 615; NextOid: 18720
  DEBUG:  database system is in production state
  FATAL 1:  Database "Administrator" does not exist in the system catalog.
  DEBUG:  shutting down
  DEBUG:  database system is shut down

All the documentation I have points to a program called postmaster, but I don't see this program located in the distribution.  I also tried downloading the distribution from two different locations, but I still do not see the postmaster program.

Another strange thing is that I tried to create a postgres user in Windows 2000, then logged in as that user.  However, when I started Cygwin, I still had the "Administrator at PHOENIX", instead of postgres at PHOENIX prompt.

Thanks,

Doug Van Auken