[postgis] PostGIS redesign

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 19 10:22:05 PDT 2001

Dave Blasby wrote:

> I'm thinking about doing a redesign and re-implementation for 0.7.
>
> The major difference would be using OGC WKB as the serialized form stored in the DB.  The other major difference would be promoting the sub-types (point,
> line, polygon, multipoint, multilinestring,multipolygon) from sub-classes of GEOMETRY to their own type.

Dave,

Can you elaborate a bit on the implications of the various types no
longer being subclasses of GEOMETRY?  What does this buy us?

I like the idea of keeping the data in WKB within the database, though I
also don't know the implications of this.  Where would you store the
SRID for each geometry?

Best regards,