[postgis] PostGIS redesign

Dave Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Fri Oct 19 09:54:21 PDT 2001

I'm thinking about doing a redesign and re-implementation for 0.7.

The major difference would be using OGC WKB as the serialized form stored in the DB.  The other major difference would be promoting the sub-types (point,
line, polygon, multipoint, multilinestring,multipolygon) from sub-classes of GEOMETRY to their own type.

This will allow faster binary access to the data (no need to convert to WKB), a stronger consistency with the OGC spec (ie. we should be 100% object
compliant), and make it easier to integrate with other OS library's like frank's OGR and the JTS.

What think?

dave