[postgis-users] Re: PostGIS and ESRI

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Apr 3 16:58:32 PST 2002

Well, a couple things have happened in the last couple months both good
and bad. The bad is that the WFS spec seems to be taking a very long
time to actually get out the door of OpenGIS. An approved WFS spec is
something which vendors can build to and release to, and will give
backends like PostGIS an actual fighting chance.

The good is several fold:

- Frank has done some interesting work on OLE DB providers, and there
has probably proved the point that an ArcGIS OLE provider for PostGIS
directly, or PostGIS via OGR is possible.
- I have done some work with ArcIMS emulation and have proven to myself
that it would be possible to put an ArcIMS Feature Service emulation
layer on top of PostGIS.
- The effort to finally get full SFSQL in PostGIS seems about to take
wing, one way or another.

However, the two technical possibilities I have given about are
read-only solutions, and therefor not a complete journey to the promised
land. Also, neither is actually *done*, they have just been investigated
enough to assure ourselves that neither is completely impossible.

BTW, it is possible to view PostGIS data in ArcIMS, via mapserver and my
rough ims emulator. :/ Ugly and rather ineffective, but a proof of
concept.

P.