[postgis-users] Geotools, Geoserver and PostGIS integration

Peter Aberline AberlineP at willis.com
Fri Apr 19 06:43:29 PDT 2002

Dear Geotools, Geoserver and PostGIS mailing lists,

I've posted this message to all three lists, appologies for cross posting.
I'm currently investigating various options for developing a web based
mapping system, and geotools, geoserver and postgis seem to have
the greatest scope for intergration. I would like to ask the groups'
opinion of using them in an integrated way for a web based mapping
system.

My current thinking is around a system that stores spatial and attribute data in
PostgreSQL using PostGIS, having this data accessed via a Geoserver
application server, and then using Geotools to render it in a client
side browser applet.

This raises some immediate questions:
* Geotools would probably need new supporting code to handle
  the WFS request/response interaction. True?

* Is the GML code in Geotools2 sufficiently developed to be able to render
  data that has been sourced from a GML based data source?

* Although WFS doesn't currently specify support for requesting raster datasets,
  would support for this in all tiers difficult to add? This support would
  obviously be in an out-of-standard way until WFS matured enough to
  specify an interaction.

Obviously any new code developed to add the kind of functionality I needed could
be contributed back to the projects, if it was considered valuable.

Does anyone know of any groups that have attempted to use these projects in this way?
I'ld be keen to hear of anyones experiences, or opinions about the likely success
of such a project.

many thanks,
Peter Aberline.
The information in this email and in any attachments is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy
this message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify the sender immediately.  You should not retain, copy or use this email for any
purpose, nor disclose all or any part of its content to any other person.