[postgis-users] Region-style representations

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Apr 22 11:21:55 PDT 2002

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Are there plans/possibilities of representing polygons a la ArcInfo
> region-style?  Is this covered off in another OGC spec?

Tyler,

My understanding is that regions in arc/info are a way of making a feature
(with attributes) that consists of one or more simple polygons that may have
wholes.  That is region is potentially a set of disconnected areas.  In
OGC Simple Features this would be a MultiPolygon geometry and should be
supported directly by PostGIS.

I am not absolutely certain if my OGR region handling actually treats
regions properly as MultiPolygons or not, but if so I would imagine they
could be loaded into PostGIS with ogr2ogr.

Best regards,