[postgis-users] Region-style representations

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Mon Apr 22 12:06:38 PDT 2002

Maybe I'm misunderstanding simple features ;)  Could you explain what you
mean by that?
When I talk about regions I'm referring to a group of polygons.  That is, a
region 'feature' would be made up of the dissolved boundaries of a group of
polygons.  Is there some way to inherently do this in RDMS already?
I know absolutely nothing about "RDBMS representation of coverages" - there
is so much overlapping language it get rather confusing eh?
Tyler

                      Paul Ramsey
                      <pramsey at refractions.net>               To:       postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net
                      Sent by:                                cc:
                      postgis-users-admin at postgis.refr        Fax to:
                      actions.net                             Subject:  Re: [postgis-users] Region-style
                                                               representations

                      04/22/2002 11:23 AM
                      Please respond to postgis-users

Maybe I am misunderstanding regions... I always thought that they were
essentially simple features. In which case, we already do regions.
Coverages,
on the other hand, are a whole nother kettle of fish. RDBMS representation
of
coverages is kind of an open topic, with not many (any?) commercial
implementations to crib from. I am hoping we can do some interesting stuff
like coverages and networks once SFSQL is done.
P.