[postgis-users] New OSS / OpenGIS Diagram

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Apr 24 20:10:22 PDT 2002

Just means that there is not a native libpq desktop GIS client. 'PgNet'
is my marketese for libpq based connections over TCP/IP. Think Oracle
SQL*Net. :) Same reason the HTTP/XML line from WFS to LAN is dotted...
there's not a desktop WFS client either. I'm thinking like an OSS
arcview which uses OSS data sources. OpenEV is one contender, but it
does not super good at dealing with data sources like PostGIS yet
(although it can use PostGIS data sources right now via OGR, it is just
not a very 'nice' connection). Thuban is another possibility, but it is
very very very very new.