[postgis-users] error executing psql -d mydb -f postgis.sql

Dave Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Thu Aug 1 09:32:21 PDT 2002

Just to clear up a possible confusion, there are two users when
accessing postgresql: the unix user (the one you logon to your windows
or unix box with) and the postgresql user (the one you logon to the
postgresql server with).

This can get confusing because often these two users are the same (I
logon to unix as 'dblasby' and I logon to postgresql as 'dblasby').

When I do this, I'm logging onto postgresql as 'dblasby':

	[dblasby at hydra code]$ psql -p 7654 template1

But, when I do this, I'm logging onto postgresql as 'postgres':

	[dblasby at hydra code]$ psql -U postgres -p 7654 template1

I only logon as postgres when I'm actually spatially enabling a new DB
(ie. running postgis.sql).

dave