[postgis-users] no default operator class for access method "gist"

Thomas Haechler thaechl at geo.unizh.ch
Thu Aug 15 01:11:14 PDT 2002

Hi everybody,

Following the instructions on:
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/x444.html#AEN509
I built both a GIST and OID index for my layers and could visualize them
in mapserver. Then I wanted to see if I can do a backup and restore of
the database:

$ pg_dump -o [dbname] > [outfile]
$ createdb [newdb]
$ psql -d [newdb] -f [outfile]

And this is the error message I got:

psql:testdb.out:13419: ERROR:  data type geometry has no default
operator class for access method "gist"
        You must specify an operator class for the index or define a
        default operator class for the data type

The restored database looks ok (to me) and is loadable into mapserver,
just the gist-indexes are missing.

Now I have 2 questions:

1.) Am I missing something / How do I backup a database with gist
indexes on some of the tables?

or:

2.)  Can I just do what I described above and then create the gist
indexes again; and do I possibly have to remove the indexes before
backup?

thank you for answering my newbie-questions,

Thomy

--

THOMAS HAECHLER

Geographic Information Systems Division