[postgis-users] Installation Question

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Mon Aug 19 16:30:03 PDT 2002

I always get a copy of the source code, but you don't actually need to
compile the source code, but compiling postgis needs some of the files in
there.  So don't worry about that.

                      "Thomas, Cord"
                      <cthomas at rand.org>                      To:       "'postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net'"
                      Sent by:                                 <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>
                      postgis-users-admin at postgis.refr        cc:
                      actions.net                             Fax to:
                                                              Subject:  [postgis-users] Installation Question

                      08/19/2002 02:57 PM
                      Please respond to postgis-users

I have searched the posts, but am still not clear (and am fairly new to
linux/postgres world) on the installation requirements.

I am running Linux Debian

I have postgreSQL installed AND the header and contrib packages installed.
But, with these i do not get the directory stucture that leaves me a
buildable PostGIS (like i don't have a configure for my PostgreSQL no do i
have the Makefile.global called for in the PostGIS Makefile).

Therefore, i ask

  A - do i need the full PostgreSQL development source?
  B - if not, given my directory structure of
/usr/lib/postgresql/share/contrib/postgis-0.7.1 - i do not seem to have the
files i need.

Can someone please explain what i am missing (probably need the source) and
suggest a better location for things (if necessary)

Thank you

Cord