[postgis-users] OT: moving my access data into postgis

Thomas, Cord cthomas at rand.org
Wed Aug 21 08:48:43 PDT 2002

Tyler,

depends on your tools and your goal i guess.

You are on windows, right - both MS Access and postgresql?

You have how many tables (just one)?  Are they/it created in postgres
already?

Here is what i would do (coming from other database backgrounds):
   export Access to text file
   turn postgres logging/transactions off (if you want to improve speed -
which appears to be your goal)
   wrap each data line in an insert into statement appropriate for the table
(should be easy with 4 integer fields) - you can use a simple regular
expression to do this.
   execute the text file with psql.  psql -d <database name> -f <text file>

Will still take  a long time - i might even break the export of the data
into a few chunks because handling 0.5  million records in any envirnoment
is still burdensome.

Cord