[postgis-users] error loading data using shp2pgsql

Dylan Keon keon at nacse.org
Fri Aug 23 18:19:09 PDT 2002

Hi, I'm just getting started with PostGIS.  I tried loading two
shapefiles for practice...cities (point) and rivers (line).  The first
went just fine, the second is giving me errors.

I suspect this is a simple problem, but couldn't find anything similar
in the archives.

SuSE 7.3
PostgreSQL 7.2.2
PostGIS 0.7.1

Thanks,
--Dylan

============================== error text ============================
# shp2pgsql rivers rivers1 mapserv > rivers.sql
# psql -d mapserv -f rivers.sql
CREATE
psql:/tmp/rivers.sql:2: NOTICE:  Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL
function addgeometrycolumn
psql:/tmp/rivers.sql:2: NOTICE:  line 39 at execute statement
psql:/tmp/rivers.sql:2: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into
unique index gc_pk
BEGIN
psql:/tmp/rivers.sql:4: ERROR:  pg_atoi: error in "*": can't parse "*"
psql:/tmp/rivers.sql:5: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:/tmp/rivers.sql:6: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
.
.