[postgis-users] Selecting geocoded postal codes within a given distance ( miles for example )

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Dec 17 09:09:47 PST 2002

In the curious world of UTM (and planar systems in general), the answer
depends on where you are :)  Planar systems are local transforms which
make a range of spherical lat/lon coordinates into a planar
approximation. Because the world in spherical, it is very hard to have a
planar projection which is covers a very large area, is true to shape,
and is true to distance. So different parameterizatios of planar
projections are used for different locations. If you are on the west
coast of North America, then UTM10 (EPSG 26910) would be a good UTM
projection. But if you are in Texas, then a different projection would
be best.

Question number one when picking a planar projection is "how spatially
big is your dataset?" Ie, what are its bounds in lat/lon?

Paul

Hugh W. O'Brien wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Paul.  I had come to the conclusion that I had
> those 2 choice but wasn't sure which one was more difficult.  Thanks for
> pointing out which one is easier to implement.
>
> Now for a followup question?
>
> What's the best way to convert my geocoded postal codes to UTM?
>
> What would be the appropriate SRID of my new data set if I chose UTM as
> my new rectangular cooridinate set?

       __
      /
      | Paul Ramsey