[postgis] Adobe Illustrator to SQL

thebanker95065 thebanker95065 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 17:41:04 PST 2002

Hello Everyone,

I have an Adobe Illustrator (AI) file that I would like to translate
into SQL.  Specifically, the AI file is a map.  It has various
layers, for example a "telephones" layer.  I want to get a set of
points into the database such that I can make a query at a location
and find the nearest telephone.

So what I've done is select the telephones layer and export it as a
dwg file.  I then use ArcView to translate the dwg file into an ESRI
shape file, and then use the PostGis translator to turn it into SQL.

The problem I have is that the telephones on the map are actually
icons, which translate into MultiLine entities.  It wouldn't be so
bad if each telephone icon was a seperate entity (by which I mean
that each one will eventually turn into a single SQL entry), but the
final SQL file I get has only one entity, a giant MultiLine, which
includes ALL of the telephone icons.

I can tell from the Shape file itself that I have 23 PolyLineZ shapes
(this is the correct number, there are 23 phones I am interested in).

Why, then, are all 23 PolyLineZ shapes going into a single SQL entry?

Thanks for your help.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!