[postgis] Server-Crash when INSERTing NULL geometries

Dave Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Wed Feb 27 10:44:11 PST 2002

Bernhard Herzog wrote:
> It doesn't crash if there's no index. It also doesn't crash when we
> don't insert NULLs but dummy values like
> GeometryFromText('POINT(0 0)', 1)

The postgresql 7.1 GiST index is NOT null-safe.  You'll get a crash if
you fill up an entire node in the index with NULL data.

The GiST index people have fixed this problem, but I believe its only in
7.2 (although it might have gotten into a late 7.1).  Unfortunately,
they also made a bunch of changes that require everyone to re-write all
the type-specific GiST support functions.

I havent done this yet because (1) I havent had time to do it and (2) it
will require a source fork for people using 7.1 and people using 7.2.

For more information you can read the postgresql hackers mail list and
see http://cddb.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/.

You might want to ensure that you have 7.1.2 and do a "vacuum analyze"
before building the index.  (see teodor and oleg's page for Tue May 15).

dave

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!