[postgis] Server-Crash when INSERTing NULL geometries

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Feb 27 11:33:13 PST 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 10:44:11AM -0800, Dave Blasby wrote:
> Bernhard Herzog wrote:
> > It doesn't crash if there's no index. It also doesn't crash when we
> > don't insert NULLs but dummy values like
> > GeometryFromText('POINT(0 0)', 1)
>

> The postgresql 7.1 GiST index is NOT null-safe.  You'll get a crash if
> you fill up an entire node in the index with NULL data.

Not nice. So it is a known bug. :(

> The GiST index people have fixed this problem, but I believe its only in
> 7.2 (although it might have gotten into a late 7.1).  Unfortunately,
> they also made a bunch of changes that require everyone to re-write all
> the type-specific GiST support functions.
>
> I havent done this yet because (1) I havent had time to do it and (2) it
> will require a source fork for people using 7.1 and people using 7.2.

Can you be more specific about what needs to be done to
either extract a patch for 7.1.3 or adapt postgis for 7,2?

> For more information you can read the postgresql hackers mail list and
> see http://cddb.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/.

Thanks for the pointer.

> You might want to ensure that you have 7.1.2 and do a "vacuum analyze"
> before building the index.  (see teodor and oleg's page for Tue May 15).

I do not fully understand your last remark.
The patch seem to be already applied to the 7.1.3 postgresql release.
Still the problem persists.

	Bernhard (Reiter)
--
Professional Service for Free Software                   (intevation.net)
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)