[postgis] backing up a postgis database?

John Reid jgreid at uow.edu.au
Thu Feb 28 06:42:11 PST 2002

Is anyone using pg_dump and pg_restore to successfully backup/restore
their database?  I can't figure out how to give the \connect statements
a different set of credentials on a Debian system without setting the
auth method to trust.  Comment in the PostgreSQL Administrator`s Guide
does indicate that it "might ... be necessary to temporarily relax
the client authentication settings".  And dumping only the data would
need to be scripted.  This could be done, but also could lead to a
database maintenance nightmare.

Does anyone know of a better method of dumping/loading the database that
might be provided by another toolkit?  I had a quick look at pg_access
but it still seems to use sql scripts.  If you have data in a Microsoft
Access database, http://sevainc.com/Access/ might be of help.  Not much
use at the moment, but I haven't really looked at the ArcGIS personal
database yet....

There are a variety of other tools listed at
http://www.au.postgresql.org/interfaces.html.  Does anyone know any more
about these, especially regarding any data loading/dumping capabilities?

cheers,
John

john reid                                     e-mail jgreid at uow.edu.au

uproot your questions from their ground and the dangling roots will be
seen.  more questions!
                                                        -mentat zensufi

apply standard disclaimers as desired...

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/nuyOHD/7.PDAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM