[postgis] AddGeometryColumn fails -- pgsql 7.1.3 and postgis 0.6.2 okay?

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at lignum.com
Mon Jan 14 16:10:54 PST 2002

Hi listers, I'm trying postgis out for the first time, following the docs
closely (I think), but after all is said and done I cannot use the
AddGeometryColumn function (see end of log below).  Is it because of the
versions I am running:
Postgresql - 7.1.3 - installed from sources
PostGIS - 0.6.2 - moved to pg/contrib folder and ran make; make install
fine

When I try to do the "SELECT AddGeometryColumn...." from the example in the
docs it obviously can't find it.
Yet it tells me I've got everything I need.  Can you look at my stuff below
and help me?

Tyler

[me at myserver postgis-0.6.2]# createlang plpgsql testgis
createlang: 'plpgsql' is already installed in database testgis
testgis=# \i postgis.sql
BEGIN
       message
----------------------
 plpgsql is installed
(1 row)

CREATE
psql:postgis.sql:34: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE/PRIMARY KEY will create implicit
index 'spatial_ref_sys_pkey' for table 'spatial_ref_sys'
CREATE
psql:postgis.sql:47: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE/PRIMARY KEY will create implicit
index 'gc_pk' for table 'geometry_columns'
CREATE
CREATE
psql:postgis.sql:213: NOTICE:  ProcedureCreate: type 'box3d' is not yet
defined
CREATE
CREATE
psql:postgis.sql:223: NOTICE:  ProcedureCreate: type 'spheroid' is not yet
defined
CREATE
CREATE
psql:postgis.sql:247: NOTICE:  ProcedureCreate: type 'wkb' is not yet
defined
CREATE
CREATE
CREATE
psql:postgis.sql:265: NOTICE:  ProcedureCreate: type 'chip' is not yet
defined
CREATE
CREATE
CREATE
psql:postgis.sql:286: NOTICE:  ProcedureCreate: type 'geometry' is not yet
defined
CREATE
CREATE
psql:postgis.sql:323: NOTICE:  ProcedureCreate: return type 'geometry' is
only a shell
CREATE
CREATE
psql:postgis.sql:753: ERROR:  pg_opclass: Permission denied.
psql:postgis.sql:761: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:768: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:775: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:782: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:789: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:796: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:803: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:810: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:817: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:819: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:827: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:833: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:839: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:845: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:851: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:857: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:863: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:866: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
psql:postgis.sql:867: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
COMMIT
testgis=# drop table gtest;
DROP
testgis=# create table gtest (ID int4, NAME varchar(20) );
CREATE
testgis=# SELECT AddGeometryColumn('testgis','gtest','geom',
-1,'LINESTRING',2);
ERROR:  Function 'addgeometrycolumn(unknown, unknown, unknown, int4,
unknown, int4)' does not exist
        Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given argument
types
        You may need to add explicit typecasts
testgis=#

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!