[postgis] Viewing mapserver itasca demo layer using postgis

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at lignum.com
Mon Jan 21 11:54:25 PST 2002

Okay, I've used shp2pgsql to put the ctybdpy2.shp into a table with the
same name.  But I don't get any information on my map.  I've compiled
postgresql and postgis from source and successfully compiled mapserver to
support it.

Here are my various settings - can you spy a problem?

BTW - the only thing I have in my error_log is: gd-png warning: alpha
channel not supported which I think is some other problem (I think it's
from my conversion of gif->png I did earlier).
-----------------------
Here's the layer in the map file (it's the first layer):

LAYER
  CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
  NAME "ctybdpy2"
  CONNECTION "dbname=testgis"
  DATA "the_geom from ctybdpy2"
  TYPE POLYGON
  STATUS ON
  CLASS
    EXPRESSION ([cty_name] = 'Itasca')
    OUTLINECOLOR 128 128 128
    COLOR 225 225 185
  END
  CLASS # every other county in the state
    EXPRESSION /./
    OUTLINECOLOR 128 128 128
    COLOR 255 255 255
  END
  METADATA
    WMS_TITLE "County Boundary"
    WMS_ABSTRACT "Itasca County boundary shapefile. See
http://deli.dnr.state.mn
    WMS_SRS "EPSG:26915"
  END
END
-----------------------
Here are the various listings from pgsql.  Is it a permissions problem?  I
put in permissions for nobody, is that necessary?

testgis=# \dp
          Access permissions for database "testgis"
     Relation     |            Access permissions
------------------+-------------------------------------------
 ctybdpy2         | {"=r","mitchtj=r","root=arwR","nobody=r"}
 geometry_columns |
 spatial_ref_sys  |
(7 rows)

testgis=# \d ctybdpy2
             Table "ctybdpy2"
 Attribute |       Type        | Modifier
-----------+-------------------+----------
 gid       | integer           |
 area      | double precision  |
 perimeter | double precision  |
 cty_name  | character varying |
 coun      | integer           |
 cty_abbr  | character varying |
 island    | character varying |
 cty_fips  | integer           |
 recno     | integer           |
 the_geom  | geometry          |
Constraints: (srid(the_geom) = -1)
             ((geometrytype(the_geom) = 'MULTIPOLYGON'::text) OR (the_geom
ISNULL))

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
Do you need to encrypt all your online transactions? Find
the perfect solution in this FREE Guide from VeriSign.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vCuuSA/UdiDAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM