[postgis-users] When and Why use a DB?

Hopper nathanh at broszengineering.com
Mon Jul 8 07:49:13 PDT 2002

Now that I've compiled and installed both Postgres and PostGIS, I'm stumped.
Perhaps I've gotten a bit ahead of myself in this, but what are some
advantages to using a database versus the standard, individual shapefiles? I
understand the concepts of databases, and RDMBS, but I don't see a clear
connection to how this will enhance things.

I see one advantage being the ability to easily integrate with the Mapserver
environment for distribution to remote clients, but what are the internal
advantages? The distribution of data via and intranet and the Internet is
the main reason we are deploying PostGIS, but I'm curious how else it might
be utilized. I didn't see anything in the docs or on the main website that
might suggest a greater scope of use, though I know one must exist.

There is some mention that the Postgre/PostGIS setup is similar in theory to
ArcSDE and a commercial database, but so far as I can discern, this isn't
the main goal of the project.

Any commentary or clarification is appreciated.

Regards,
Nathan