[postgis-users] When and Why use a DB?

Adrian Custer acuster at nature.berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 8 08:21:37 PDT 2002

There are two issues here:

1) the advantage of a DB over a flat file
essentially this boils down to editability in a multi user environment.
(concurrency, consistency...) There is also an issue of scale, I'd
expect the DB to handle much larger data sets gracefully.

2) the incorporation of analysis into the db vs in the GIS
Postgis is gaining ever more analytic functionality. Your GIS software
may have this and be able to do it fast on a shapefile layer but Postgis
is getting more and more of this.

Ideally the DB should be transparent to the user who would not really
care how the data was stored and be able to export a data set to send to
others. This discussion could go to MUCH greater depth but that's real
work.

cheers,
adrian