[postgis-users] When and Why use a DB?

Obe, Regina DND\MIS robe.dnd at ci.boston.ma.us
Mon Jul 8 08:12:14 PDT 2002

A spatial database has various advantages over simple shape files.  The main
advantage I have found is the ability to do complex spatial calculations
such as returning what objects are near one another, what objects are within
a vicinity of another , what is the area of a particular region, what is the
extent of a region where certain activity is taking place, what objects are
within one another.

It is also easier to join spatial data with non-spatial data in a spatial
database environment and gives you the full power of SQL  to do other
analysis such as

What is the average expenditure for a particular geographic region etc.

So PostGIS is useful as a datasource for Mapserver, but is useful in and of
itself to provide another dimension (a spatial dimension) for generating
useful tabular reports.