[postgis-users] shp2pgsql crashes

Alex Rice alex_rice at arc.to
Mon Jul 15 23:37:15 PDT 2002

OK, I found the problem. This is a strange one. Because the ESRI
Shapefile specification says 8.3 filenames are required, I figured I
would shorten the filenames I was having problems with, and then I was
able to import no problems. The strange thing is that some of the
shapefiles which did import OK previously were longer than 8.3, some
were 10.3, and they all had DBF feature files too.

I am guessing the problem seems to be in dbfopen.c -> DBFOpen(). My C is
not too strong though. maybe someone can add some checking for long
filenames in there? Oh, also the HFS+ filesystem on MacOS X is
case-insensitive. I am wondering if that might be a factor as well?

On Monday, July 15, 2002, at 10:01  PM, Steffen Macke wrote:

> Maybe. What locale are you using? Sometimes this gives strange effects.

BTW How can I find this out? My system preferences are set to US
English. I don't know how similar Mac OS X is to other Unixes, wrt
locale stuff. It does use Unicode pretty extensively. This is Apple's
GCC "version gcc-934.3, based on gcc version 2.95.2". There are man
pages for setlocale() and related functions, but there is also part of
CoreServices called "Locale Utilities", which seems to  interface with
the standard C locale functions.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alex_rice at arc.to
alrice at swcp.com