[postgis-users] Newbie: Windows Install Help

Hankley, Chip Chip.Hankley at GASAI.Com
Fri Jun 21 12:15:00 PDT 2002

OK, I'm a windows person, my *NIX knowledge is pretty limited (but I'm
trying to get better...). I'd like to do some experimenting with PostGIS /
MapServer, but have gotten lost on, well, something like step 2.

I downloaded and installed Cygwin. This seemed to go OK. I modified the
default installation to install PostgreSQL (I believe 7.2.1).

Following the instructions in
C:\cygwin\usr\doc\Cygwin\postgresql-7.2.1.README, I downloaded and installed
the cygipc package, and followed the instructions on

http://www3.us.postgresql.org/docs/faq-mswin.html

I then completed the instructions in the above mentioned README file for a
basic Cygwin PostgreSQL installation... which seemed to go fine.

I have downloaded the PostGIS tarball.

Here's the problem. I don't see a 'contrib' directory anywhere under my
CYGWIN directory. I assume that this would be somewhere in the PostgreSQL
source... however, since PostgreSQL came as part of my Cygwin installation,
I don't have the source.

So... the Cygwin instructions say "don't compile PostgreSQL if you don't
have to"... do I have to? What should I do now?

TIA!

Chip Hankley