[postgis-users] Newbie: Windows Install Help

C F gis_consultant at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 24 12:01:34 PDT 2002

Hi Chip,
I'm probably be of too much assistance here but may be able to help you
narrow a few things down.  I have PostgreSQL and PostGIS running on Cygwin.
I don't *think* I did anything special to the crypt library and I'm pretty
sure I didn't compile it myself.  Although I see that I did download both
source and binary (I don't recall why though).  These past few weeks I've
been compiling/installing/learning so much stuff that it's all blending in
together.... I do recall that there was one library that was giving me the
same kind of trouble you're having.  I can't remember which library it was
though.  All I remember is that Cygwin would download and install it... at
least that's what it made you think.  Turns out that it wasn't installing it
correctly.  Sometimes when you download a new library with Cygwin installer,
you'll see a DOS window pop up for a split second afterwards and then goes
away (this is the actual, decompress/install phase).  Well what was
happening is that the the piece that was actually installing the library was
bombing.... without telling me.  I tracked the problem down and it was a
required dependency that was missing.... that the Cygwin installer wasn't
aware of.

I'm sorry, I can't remember if this was the crypt library (or what the
dependency was for that matter) or something else.  I just brought it up in
case it triggers a memory for someone else that may help.  I wish I had
taken better notes!!