[postgis-users] Newbie: Windows Install Help

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Mon Jun 24 15:51:24 PDT 2002

It is not necessary to compile any of these yourself, or even to install the
source.

When I (recently, just a few days ago) did a cygwin/postGIS install, I did
download the source for cygipc and compile it myself, but that was only because
it wasn't available in a pre-compiled version (to my knowledge). I used the
cygwin setup program to install the binaries of the crypt, readline, and zlib
libraries. I also wouldn't recommend trying to compile postgres yourself - just
use the setup program to install both the binaries and source. You do need to
run ./configure in the postgres source directory, because some options in the
makefile.global are used by postgis in its makefile. Then you just have to untar
the postgis source into the postgres tree, and make it.

Chris Hodgson