[postgis-users] pl/pgsql vs. C functions

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Sun Jun 30 22:01:39 PDT 2002

Probably you could get a definitive answer on one of the pgsql lists.
However, my uninformed impression is that PL/PgSQL is interpretted, like
PL/Perl and PL/TCL, so there is definately a speed hit relative to an
equivalent C algorithm. Of course, implementation counts as well as
language -- a brain-dead implementation will be slow regardless of
language choice... YMMV :/

P.