[postgis] JTS integration and OGR

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at lignum.com
Wed Mar 6 13:22:31 PST 2002

Hi Paul,
Let me know how it goes with ASI, did they seem interested in your
proposal.  It's a good bunch of people and I've been trying to find similar
types of projects that could benefit from the ASI partnerships, etc.

Tyler

                    Paul Ramsey
                    <pramsey at refrac       To:     postgis at yahoogroups.com
                    tions.net>            cc:     Serguei Krivov <krivov at cbl.umces.edu>, Jens Jahnke
                                           <jens at cs.uvic.ca>, dash at vividsolutions.com
                    03/06/2002            Fax to:
                    01:12 PM              Subject:     Re: [postgis] JTS  integration and OGR
                    Please respond
                    to postgis

Everyone is having the same bright idea at the same time. :)

The story so far. Refractions is teaming up with the University of
Victoria and Vivid Solutions on a joint research project to bring the
JTS algorithms into PostGIS. We have a grant proposal into the BC
Advanced Systems Institute. Refractions/Vivid will be providing cash and
in-kind support to the project, UVic is providing a graduate student and
academic support. In addition, it turns out that the Instituto Nacional
de Pesquisas Espaciais of Brazil has similar goals -- they would like to
see SFSQL compliance in PostGIS by the end of 2002, and are dedicating a
graduate student and other support to that goal. We have discussed
bringing the two projects together to work simultaneously on the same
codebase and same workplan.

It sounds like you have similar goals, Ferdinando. If your timeline is
consistent with ours (kicking off at the beginning of the summer
semester) perhaps you would be interested in being involved in the
project.

I will be posting more information about this project if our ASI
proposal is accepted.

Paul

--
      __