[postgis-users] General Question on Raster within PostGIS

Roger Bedell roger at sylvanmaps.com
Thu May 9 10:57:16 PDT 2002

Hisaji,

Thank you for your reply. The reason I am asking, is that I think a
general purpose raster implementation for PostGIS would be useful. I put
together a similar scheme for our SylvanMaps OCX product long ago (1996
or so), which works well, and is very simple. The difference between
mine and yours are that the image is actually held in the database in a
BLOB field. (Actually, large images are split into tiles), and no affine
transform is specified.

The consumer of the image data would request just those tiles needed.
The consumer (or hopefully PostGIS) would be responsible for
projecting/tiling/resampling/resizing the image for display or analysis.

Additionally, several tables can be used, each with successively lower
resolution images (resampled), so that if a consumer requested a large
area, she would not be inundated with thousands of tiles.

If the blobs were simply JPEG2000 tiles, the compression would approach
MrSID compression numbers.

Advantages of this approach:

1)       Really huge images can all be stored in the database.
2)       The database could handle all the mundane details of
projection, retiling, resizing etc.
3)       Compression using JPEG2K is public domain, and quite good.
4)       No need to have thousands of GeoTIFF or GeoJPEG, or MrSID files
hanging around.

Questions:
1)       I'm not sure what the affine transform is used for?
2)       Is there a BLOB field in PostGIS?

Roger

Roger Bedell, President, Sylvan Ascent Inc.
roger at sylvanmaps.com
www.sylvanmaps.com
www.topodepot.com
505-758-7712