[postgis-users] Spatial database book

Manuel Weindorf weindorf at ipf.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri May 10 02:02:19 PDT 2002

In fact it's a good introduction to the concept of postgreSQL
(better for people which don't already know postgreSQL)

The section has almost 9 pages (same amount as Oracles SDO ;-))

Theres
- a list of supported geometric types with their string-representations
- a list of operators
- a dicussion of capabilities (rtree indexing, user defined types) and missing
features ( e.g. sets of polygons, computation of intersection of polygons,
operators do not allow the contsruction of new geometric objects (e.g. as a
result of intersection) etc.)

- an example of creating a db-schema with 4 tables using primary keys and
foreign keys
- examples of queries with alphanumeric criteria, spatial criteria, spatial
joins

PostGIS is not mentioned yet.

All in all it's good to read about an open-source product in the direct
neighbourhood of commercial products (Oracle, ArcSDE, Smallworld, ArcInfo,
ArcView)

Manuel