[postgis-users] Using OGR to read VPF/ODGI vectors?

John Reid jgreid at uow.edu.au
Thu May 2 22:29:04 PDT 2002

Hi,

Hopefully this is a really stupid question.  I can't seem to locate any
layers using ogrinfo:

$ ogrinfo gltp:/vrf/home/<snip>/Global_Map/Area
ERROR 4: OGDI Driver doesn't support update.
Had to open data source read-only.
INFO: Open of
`gltp:/vrf/home/gdata/auslig/Global1M/Global_Map_Data_Australia_1M_2001/Vector/VPF/Australia/Global_Map/Area'
using driver `OGDI' successful.

http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/opengis/ogrhtml/ogr_utilities and
drv_ogdi.html indicate that this should "report a list of available
layers (and their layerwide geometry type)".

Attached is the output from:
$ ogdi_info -u gltp:/vrf/home/<snip>/Global_Map/Area

I'm just learning about the VPF format, however from this output I
gather that I should have the following coverages:

Coverage_name: tileref
Level: 3

Coverage_name: bnd
Level: 3

Coverage_name: hydro
Level: 3

Coverage_name: pop
Level: 3

Coverage_name: trans
Level: 3

Any ideas/recommendations?  FWIW, ArcGIS 8.1 only seemed to recognize a
"tileref" layer, not the others....

cheers,
John

john reid                                     e-mail jgreid at uow.edu.au

uproot your questions from their ground and the dangling roots will be
seen.  more questions!
                                                       -mentat zensufi

apply standard disclaimers as desired...