[postgis-users] gpc lost database connection - how to debug?

Robert W. Burgholzer rburghol at vt.edu
Thu May 23 04:29:28 PDT 2002

Nicolas,
No problem, you already did a lot of work on this, and it gave me a chance to
deepen my understanding. Thanks for the heads up on that bug.
I will look into the openGIS specification to get the details on multipolygons,
are they simply more than one non-contiguous polygon in the same data entry? I
will see if i can be of assistance in the code development.

As for "multipolygons" imported by shp2pgsql, in my case, and I would guess
many cases using geographic data, the polygons only have 1 ring, unless some
sort of error occured in digitization. If this is the case, a simple test for
number of rings (call to nrings) and if nrings = 1, do a translation to
polygon, no? It seemed as if nothing changed but the  geometry type when I used
the "set the_geom = geometryn(the_geom,0)" on my columns, which had nrings = 1,
thus perhaps no translation would be needed for this case. All points seemed
identical afterwards.

I will look into that,, thanks again,

Rob