[postgis-users] GiST

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Mon Nov 4 09:44:36 PST 2002

Guido Staub wrote:

> aren't operators like &<, &>, >>, << implemented yet for GiST-Index Scan?
> Trying a query with them and using explain I always get as result that
> seq scan will be used and not index scan.

It should be indexed.  Try typing this before your query:

'set enable_seqscan =off;'

This forces the postgresql planner to use the index.  Postgresql is usually
pretty bad a determining when to use the GiST index, hence all the traffic on
histogram2ds to optimize use of the index with the "&&" operator.

dave