[postgis-users] PostGIS spatial index use optimization (Proposal)

Andy Turk andy at streetlight.com
Wed Oct 2 17:14:39 PDT 2002

First thought: Wow. I like to think of indexing as something that "just
works". Thanks for shattering my misconceptions. :-)

Second thought: Your proposal sounds like a good and correct way to handle the
general problem. A lot of work just to make sure the indexes are used
appropriately, but I think you've got the problem nailed.

Third thought: That histogram thingie sounds pretty neat. If you implement the
whole scheme, it'd be interesting to make that histogram available as a
function call. Knowing the data density of a region is very useful for
interactive applications.