[postgis-users] Re: 3d support in postgis

Robert W. Burgholzer rburghol at vt.edu
Wed Oct 16 06:09:34 PDT 2002

Wolfgang,
I too am interested in the implications of full 3d for my research,
which involves hydrological modeling. I think that surfaces may be
represented  effficiently with 3d shapes, as opposed to the currently
popular raster implementations. If you have any inclination to develop
some code, feel free to contact me.

Beyond my own research, I think that gIs (emphasis added) would benefit
from full 3d capabilities, opening the door to include CAD figures,
geological information, and environmental modeling/information. While
all of this might be able to be renderred in 2.5d, manipulation of the
data, querying and importing data may be simplified.

my $.02

Rob

--
Robert Burgholzer